Friday, January 27, 2006

Dunwoody v Forth - A Ringside Seat


A very amusing exchange from yesterday's Hansard...
GWYNETH DUNWOODY (Crewe and Nantwich) (Lab): I am listening carefully to the right hon. Gentleman. I happen to agree with him about the programme, but will he tell me why Conservative Front Benchers do not oppose every programme motion on every Bill? That would at least draw attention to the issue.
ERIC FORTH: I wish they would, but my party’s Front Benchers are in consensual mode at present. They seem to think that we will attract more support from the electorate if we oppose the Government as little as possible rather than as much as possible. This is the new mood of the Conservative party.
MADAM DEPUTY SPEAKER (Sylvia Heal): Order. Notwithstanding any new mood in the Conservative party, perhaps we could now address the motion, which is somewhat restrictive.


As our national newspapers have given up on covering Parliament I think I'll try to post regular snippets like this, so if anyone comes across an amusing or meaningful exchange from the Commons or the Lords perhaps they'd email it to me iain AT iaindale.com

Hat-tip to the lovely Andrea who originally posted this on PoliticalBetting.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Eric, Go Eric! My admiration for the man just grows and grows. How utterly refreshing.

Jonathan Sheppard said...

You can always rely on Gwyneth to say something amusing. I still remember when she boomed at me in the Commons asking if I was waitng for someone or just lurking. Someone whos bad books I would never want to be in!

Anonymous said...

Good of you to credit the "lovely" Andrea with this piece - but she's a bloke isn't she?

Iain Dale said...

Really? I guess he could still be lovely though LOL

Anonymous said...

well, yes, I'm a man! :shock:

Anonymous said...

well, yes, I'm a man! :shock: