Tuesday, January 24, 2006

From Brokeback Mountain to Five Live Breakfast


Just got back from a very rare trip to the cinema (haven't been for about 3 years!) to see Brokeback Mountain. I found it rather disappointing to be honest. Very slow and obviously ahem, toned down for a mainstream audience. Not much to frighten the horses in that film! I'm sure it's down wonders for the Wyoming tourism industry though. Beautiful scenery. I keep reading that the number of people who go to the cinema is still on the increase. I have to admit that nowadays I prefer to watch movies on DVD rather than trek down to the local Odeon. Going to the cinema should be an experience, but so often you get very uncomfortable seats, people around you munching their way through the most gi-normous tub of popcorn and giggling every few minutes. Give me my nice sofa and a 43 inch plasma screen any day, thank you very much. And I can fall asleep in the middle of the movie and not worry about someone hearing me snore! What an old git I'm becoming.

Anyway, back to the real world, before I starting shouting "And another thing...!" in a Richard Littlejohn-esque fashion. Tune in to Radio 5 Live Breakfast tomorrow at 7.20 and I shall be pontificating on the art of political lobbying. Betcha can't wait.

6 comments:

HowRidiculous said...

Rather disappointing?!

If you want something 'toned up', you'll have to wait for the 'adult' remake, I'm afraid.

The whole purpose of the film is to demonstrate the central tragedy of two people who are in love but cannot have it acknowledged, accepted and understood.

Audiences, whether mainstrain or extreme, should be able to see that 'Brokeback Mountain' is not only one of the greatest films ever made but also one of the greatest love stories ever told.

And let's hope its not the beautiful scenery that draws people to Wyoming because they might be disappointed - the film was shot in Alberta.

Anonymous said...

Umm - it was filmed in Alberta, Iain.

Iain Dale said...

hanging my head in shame that i didn't know it was filmed in Alberta. However, I didn't enjoy it that much and felt it didn't live up to its billing. Just my opinion!

Anonymous said...

Can't imagine that it will be playing to packed houses in North Norfolk.

Anonymous said...

Oh, well, I thought it was pretty good except for one piece of uncharacteristically awful directing by Lee where he didn't reveal the tenderness of the initial relationship until the end of the film.

Don't think he's ever quite lived up to the promise shown in Crouching Tiger but a first-rate director nonetheless. The Hulk excepted.

Iain Dale said...

eh?