Monday, January 09, 2006

Another LibDem Sandal-Wearer to Stand?

Another fully paid up member of the LibDem sandal wearing tendency is about to declare his hand and stand for the LibDem leadership, I understand. Sources tell me that Phil Willis, who, up until the last election, was the Party's Education Spokesman is considering throwing his hat into the ring. He's an ex Head Master who looks like a slightly batty Physics teacher. I doubt whether he's be able to get 7 nominations, but with the LibDems it's best to rule nothing out.

UPDATE 14.50 : Well, another first for this Blog. Two hours after posting this Phil Willis confirmed what I had heard. Looks like he won't need to bother though as I suspect others may beat him to it.

2 comments:

Iain Dale said...

Now that would be something...

James Hellyer said...

It has to be Hughes...

I'd never vote for the man, but at least he'd represent his membership and offer a choice rather an echo to the electorate.

More importantly, he'd make politics more interesting. I think the division we're told about in the Lib Dems is often over simplified (vs. Lab up North and Con down south). Certainly here in Devon, the deciding factor in elections is in large part the firmness of the Labour vote - if it goes Lib Dem, then we're toast. And I think Hughes would be more likely to erode that vote nationally and thus move Labour to the left.

It may not be *good* for us, but it would be interesting.