Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Building up for Super Dooper Tuesday

This morning I am heading off to Wilmington, Delaware to spend a few hours of Super Tuesday sniffing the electoral air. I hope to visit all the different campaign HQs and see how they expect things to turn out. However, a quick Google search hasn' t proved very informative. It seems that Obama is the only candidate to have a campaign HQ there. It might be a rather short visit! And tomorrow night I hope to witness the results coming in in one of Washington's finest political eateries, the Capital Grill.

This evening I've been to dinner at a superb restaurant in Alexandria called the Chart House. It's directly on the river. I'm not a big fish eater, but I've been told I have to have two portions of fish a week now. The crab cakes were the best I have ever had - outside Cromer of course. I highly recommend this restaurant - the bill came to $155 between three of us. Not bad for top class nosh.
I hope to have post Super Tuesday interviews lined up with Newt Gingrich and Craig Fuller, George H W Bush's former Chief of Staff. Maybe others too. That's if I can work out how to upload them to Youtube from my new Macbook. Watch this space.
Right, Hillary is about to appear on Letterman. If she's still got a voice, that is.
UPDATE 1.37am: I owe you an apology, dear reader. I'd love to tell you all about Hillary's chat with Letterman, I really would. The only trouble is, I fell asleepzzzzzzzz. I promise to do better next time. Slinks off in embarrassment...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wilmington, Delaware - a place so non-discript it's untrue. Oh, apart from the fact it smells, I mean really smells. Zero percent sales tax is nice though, it'd have to be, not much else happening in Delaware.

Anonymous said...

Hi Iain, are you operating in the US under a media (I) visa? Because if you just flew to the States and entered under the standard visa waiver programme you are probably breaking the law as your plans for the day sound suspiciously like 'journalism' to me.

It wouldn't do for a Tory blogger to be an illegal immigrant so maybe you should seek clarification if necessary...

Newmania said...

I `m probably in a minority of one but I am not all that interested in the US electoral process which affects us very little it seems to me. What with this jaunt and the new look I find that ,as usual , change is bad.

There is plenty going on here and it lacks the Dale sure touch to sift and interpret for the ignorant halt and lame like me .

Misery.

Paddy Briggs said...

Latest polls show Hillary ahead in New York and California (among others):

http://www.usaelectionpolls.com/2008/super-duper-tuesday-polls.html

Anonymous said...

The thinkg I'm trying to work out is *where the hell did 'Dooper' come from*?!

I'm sure it was always just Super Tuesday in the past.

I fear Barney (the purple dinosaur)may have taken over the electoral process and imposed his own patois.

Anonymous said...

This preoccupation with dishing old Hilary is so amusing… Does she have you worried, I think so.

Cambo has already given his backing to McCain – he hasn’t shouted it from the tree tops BUT he has said it on numerous occasions.

Not shouting because he is just a little embarrassed about it. Won’t go down well with Cambos new perceived moderate Conservatism, because that’s all it really is PERCEPTION.

Even funnier McCain is OLDER than Ming, yet the Tories were making hay over Mings age.

Bad news: Hilary is going to be the next president, within the next 2 years either Hilary or Obama will be at a Labour party conference. Will anymore nut case republicans be visiting Cambo on the podium – probably?

Keep slating Hilary and Obarma if you wish – they have you worried, and it is Soooooooo obvious.

Anonymous said...

You have switched to a MACBOOK ?

This is news ! Tell us more...

Anonymous said...

"I owe you an apology, dear reader. I'd love to tell you all about Hillary's chat with Letterman, I really would. The only trouble is, I fell asleepzzzzzzzz. "

I didn't think she was THAT boring!!

Anonymous said...

Never mind - Ms Clinton always says much the same thing anyway. You could have just made something up...

Anonymous said...

Anon 10.11 am

"The thinkg I'm trying to work out is *where the hell did 'Dooper' come from*?!

I'm sure it was always just Super Tuesday in the past."


It is normally called Super Tuesday but this time more states than ever are participating on Tuesday Feb 5th, so some people are calling it Super Dooper (or Duper) Tuesday.

Yak40 said...

Cambos new perceived moderate Conservatism

Ha ha,
"moderate conservatism" = Labour light.

NOT what the UK needs.

Anonymous said...

Ron beats McCain in Maine:
http://www.forbes.com/businesswire/feeds/businesswire/2008/02/04/businesswire20080204006265r1.html

@molesworth_1 said...

whilst I note that aardvarks explanation of the etymology of Super Duper Tuesday is corredt, it should be remembered that the correct english spelling is "Duper" (to emphasise the rhyme with 'Super', and following the same rules of construction).
"Dooper" is a crude phonetic Americanism, such as 'nite', 'color' etc. ad nauseum.

but to my main point Iain, I too fell asleep,and subsequently missed the best Superbowl for, ooohhh.... ever? I'm not so much embarrased as p***ed off.

Oscar Miller said...

The really exciting news in this post is that meal. I truly envy you that Iain - and I notice the address of the restaurant is 1 Cameron Street. How's that for party loyalty?