Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A New Editor for Total Politics



Last Friday was a bit sad. It was the day Total Politics editor Sarah MacKinlay left her job to start up a new PR company called Journalista. Having just put her 15th issue to bed, Sarah can look back on her 18 months as editor of the magazine with pride. When I appointed her I knew she was being thrown in at the deep end, but she rose to the challenge magnificently. I know we are all going to miss her terribly, but I am glad to say she will still be writing the odd piece for us.

I know what a challenge it is to start up a new business in a recession. Journalista, among other things, will be doing PR for politicians and other participants in the world of politics. As you might be able to tell from the farewell cover my colleagues organised for her, Sarah is not backward in coming forward with her opinions! We all wish her the very best of luck and thank her for her sterling work for the magazine.

Her replacement as editor is Ben Duckworth, who has also been with the magazine since the beginning. Up until now he has been TP's political editor.

We have also recruited a new political correspondent, Amber Elliott, who joins us from Dods, where she has been Lobby and Parliamentary Reporter for Dods Monitoring. We had some excellent applicants for the job, at least eight of whom would have done the job brilliantly. I hate this process as you have to say 'no' to some really good people. Amber's appointment signals a determination on our part to rethink the TP website and make it much more newsy and content driven.

In a small team, change is always challenging, but I am glad we have maintained continuity with Ben's appointment and I think Amber will bring a lot of flair to the job judging by the ideas she put forward at her interview.

But the main point of this post is to thank Sarah MacKinlay for her time with us and to send her on her way with our very best wishes. Sarah, it's been a blast!

16 comments:

dave, surrey said...

ooh a swear word on the cover of a magazine.. I'm shocked. Come off it, this is as naff as those awkward gangly pop star types who like to slip out the odd expletive on live TV to shock any grown-ups that might be watching.

Iain Dale said...

Dave, er, did you read the article? This was a spook, as a leaving present for Sarah.

dave, surrey said...

sorry Iain, just looked at the pictures like I always do, then wade in with my big size twelves..

Anonymous said...

Iain, due to the font chosen,it is impossible to read most of the head line.

What does,er, the rest of it say ?

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry Ian, there's no recession in the political world and public sector.

Just like Total Politics all the national and local politician's will subscribe to Journalista and put it down to expenses.

Praguetory said...

Well done, Ben.

Anonymous said...

Sarah's definitely easier on the eye than Mr Duckworth. Errrr, not that that is a qualification for editing a magazine, obviously. I'll go now.

Greg said...

Nice one Ben.

Your acerbic wit and wonderful haircut both made my time at 18 Doughty Street thoroughly enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous - 1.11pm

Click on the picture and it will enlarge for the optically challenged - myself included.

windowsofthesoul said...

What big eyes she has. Nice and scary...

Guido Fawkes said...

Is it me or are political editors getting younger?

Anonymous said...

havocman - That was the first thing I tried, but I'm still clueless - may be due to viewing it on a lap top.

Or maybe it is not really worth the effort ?

Gordon Brown said...

I thought swearing was banned on this blog?

Poetic licence presumably......

Anonymous said...

@ Anonymous 1:15 PM

Until you understand the business model of Total Politics and what a PR company does, please don't make idiotic comments.

The Grim Reaper said...

I'm surprised. For some reason, I was under the impression you edited the magazine yourself. Oh well...

Anonymous said...

So, as its new Editor, what are Ben's ideas for rejuvenating TP?