Thursday, February 16, 2006

Question Time & My Day in London

I meant to do another live blogging of Question Time tonight but didn't get back from London in time I'm afraid. From what I have seen of it Peter Hain has been unusually unimpressive and Theresa May and Tim Razzall have been rather good. Although I have to say the fragrant Theresa gave a rather bizarre explanation for the change in Tory Party policy on tuition fees... Hasn't the NUS girl got a strange mouth? She's rather good though. And now we can brace ourselves for the Andrew Neil show.

I've had a busy day in London - met a friend for breakfast in the House of Lords greasy spoon - did not do my diet any good at all. Then talked about two publishing projects before adjourning to my new mobile office, commonly known as the Millbank Lounge of the City Inn Hotel. It's great! WiFi free internet connection, comfy seats and constant orange juice. What more can one ask for. Had various meetings there including one to talk about doing regular podcasts on this blog. More of that very soon. Later on had a session with my dental hygienist - not pleasane. She keeps drilling into me the joys of dental flossing knowing full well that I will ignore her blandishments. I got a piece of it stuck between my teeth once. Never again. From there I went on to Weidenfeld & Nicolson's author's party at the Wallace Collection in Manchester Square. A huge bash with Andrew Roberts, Julian Fellowes, Ann Widdecombe and, er, Terry Christian. Then went to dinner at Chez Gerard in Dover Street with two friends I hadn't seen for a few years. Tomorrow it's back to more mundane things as I drive to Orpington PC World to pick up a replacement for the new laptop I bought yesterday in Tunbridge Wells PC World which didn't work. Why do I have to drive to Orpington? PC World's idea of customer service. I feel a ranting letter to the good Lord Kalms coming on...

11 comments:

Modern Conservative said...

I tried to buy a lap top in PC world - I spent ages choosing a model, getting opinons from my brother and computer literate friends - I finally made decision and wanted to go ahead. Could i get anyone to serve me - could i heck. I hang around for three quarters of an hour and by now it's 5:15 on a Saturday afternoon so I go leave and go to Staples instead. I got get a better computer for 50 quid less all in under ten minutes.

Paul Evans said...

Podcasts! I demand that everyone does lots and lots of podcasts!

Anonymous said...

There is nothing good about Kat Fletcher before she became NUS president she was in a group so left wing you had to pass an exam to get in and were then sent on a reeduction weekend.

With a NUS budget that is holed under the waterline she has continued to spend student's resources on campaigns that have nothing to do with education.

NUS does little or nothing for its students, merely providing career advancement for the likes of the odious Fletcher.

Anonymous said...

The Old left like Diane no longer realy have much to contribute, they don't know too much what they want or how to achieve it without spending vast sums which won't happen. they will therefore continue to rebel

Paul Linford said...

Hain was indeed awful. I for one found it embarrassing to watch a man I once regarded as something of a hero struggling to defend this wretched government. And judging by the pained look on his face, Hain found it embarrassing as well. At least he had to the good sense to admit that he won't be a contender for the leadership when Blair goes, although I think he was wrong to say no other Cabinet member will be.

Kat Fletcher does indeed have a slightly odd mouth but made up for it by being very feisty. However doubtless in five years' time she'll have metamorphosised from sparky NUS President into New Labour automaton like Lorna Fitzsimons and Stephen Twigg did before her.

Sergeant was a class act as ever but was completely wrong in his analysis of the takeover dynamic, claiming it would be best for Brown to wait until 18 months before the election before being handed the reins. If we are forced to wait that long for the denouement of this interminable succession drama, we'll all be so bored of Brown it will become a case of anyone but.

Anonymous said...

richard gibbs.
Labour hard-left (McDonnell, Corbyn, BMA and co) has never been a great fan of Brown.
BMA thinks he's a neurotic, McDonnell thinks he's as bad as Blair.
More important is the opinion of the soft-left.

Russ said...

Is it possible to get an insider's opinion from this blog without the predisposition that all Labour ministers are incompetent hacks?

I'm not saying one needs be even balanced for its own sake, but not everyone in the world just assumes these things without proof.

Russ said...

And my comment was made without reading Paul's post. ;)

Anonymous said...

Shopping PC World and Dixions is madness. Everything is faulty. They repackage them and try to pass them on to unsuspecting customers.

Do yourself a favour and go to Micro Anvika in Tottenham Court Road, Selfridges and Croydon. They have excellent prices, a wide range of PCs and accessories and brilliant customer service.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with "Anonymous" - buying anything from PC World/Dixons/et al. guarantees you at least one of the following:

- being ripped off;
- being sold a pile of pooh;
- being told a pack of lies.

Usually, they have a special offer and guarantee all three...

Anonymous said...

You should be ashamed of yourself. Flossing is VERY important.

Even though you're a vile Tory, through the goodness of my LibDem heart I will give you the name of an excellent periodontologist in Kent, should you wish.

Don't waste money at Dixons et al, ebuyer.co.uk are much cheaper