Sunday, January 08, 2006

John Hemming for Leader! No, Really...

I'm beginning to wonder if John Hemming's Blog isn't a spoof. Surely he cannot be seriously considering standing. Here's an excerpt from today's ramblings...

"For those who have asked what "taking soundings" means it meansa) Seeing who else may stand - because there may be someone else I could backb) Starting to collect nominations - it will take a certain amount of time to collect the constituency nominations for which I need at least 200. I will check on Monday if I can obtain them via email, but I think I need the names, addresses and signatures of party members including their membership number and constituency party. People have been asking how to do this.Something along the lines of I hereby nominate John Hemming MP as a candidate for Leader of the Liberal Democrats then signed with the above information and posted to 17, Macklin Street, London WC2B 5NH.I also need nominations from at least 7 MPs. I have two who have agreed so far, but I haven't really started asking for them. That again will depend upon how many other candidates are standing. If it is only a two horse race then it will be relatively easy to get MP nominations, but if there are two or three other candidates then nominations turn into rocking horse manure."

UPDATE: Dear reader, I cannot contain my excitement that there is no an Unofficial John Hemming for Leader Blog. Again, it's not quite clear if it's a spoof or not.

4 comments:

Guido Fawkes said...

He is, and I say this without fear of libel laws, an attention seeking nutter.

Iain Dale said...

I rather got that impression... Not that nyone could say that about you or I, eh, Guido?!

Anonymous said...

That you for bringing us that bombshell. I hope he stands. And, for that matter, wins.

PoliticalHackUK said...

Some of us have been watching Cllr Hemming (once a candidate for Britain's astronaut programme - well, he did write in and ask for the application form) and his stellar career for a while.

If nothing else, he's entertaining. Sadly, the blog is a real - Pooter lives.

Guido is also spot on.

The Liberal Democrats deserve no better than John as their leader.