Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Tory Wishes Tony Banks Well!

About an hour ago I had a phone call from the Mail on Sunday who told me they were trying to stand up a story that Tony Banks (aka known as Lord Stratford) was very seriously ill. I debated whether to post this information or not, and decided on balance, not to, as they hadn't got a second source. However, I have just heard that he has had a stroke and is in hospital. I wish him a very speedy recovery. The reason the MoS phoned me was that in 1988 I edited a book called The Wit & Wisdom of Tony Banks, which is full of his bon mots and memorable phrases. Unbelievably, it has been remaindered for £1! Tony was very supportive when I set up Politico's and is a worldwide authority on the life of Charles James Fox. He has a huge amount of political memorabilia on Fox. The last time we met was on the GMTV sofa shortly before the election. He genuinely wished me luck and hoped I would be elected. I hope he's up and about again very soon.

No comments: