Saturday, October 21, 2006

Mid Norfolk Select George Freeman

Mid Norfolk Conservatives have selected George Freeman as their candidate for the next election. He fought Stevenage last time and fought a very innovative campaign. I know him a little and I'm sure he'll do well in Norfolk. His mother was one of my members in North Norfolk, so he can truly claim to have local links! He won on the first ballot. One thing which slightly worried me though was that only about 90 people attended the final selection meeting. This is an appallingly low number for what is, after all, a Conservative seat. At my selection in North Norfolk I had 185 people, and I thought that was rather low at the time!

7 comments:

Johnny Norfolk said...

Yes the turnout was dissapointing. I am sure that if members realised how rewarding it can be to be involved in the selection process there would be more present.

George will have to drum up the enthusiasm like he did in Stevenage. I feel he is the right candidate to represent Mid Norfolk

Bryan Appleyard said...

Sitting, as I am in Stiffkey, I think I can say that a turnout of anybody in North Norfolk is quite an achievement. I, for example, have had no choice but to select myself.

Anonymous said...

Conservatism is becoming such an uninspiring subject, so much so that I can well believe that not even the once loyal grassroot activists can motivate themselves to be involved or even bother to turn out.
It is a feature across the country

Ellee Seymour said...

Congratulations to George, who will be a very solid candidate, and commiserations to James Tumbridge, who fought against 18-listers to make it to the end, quite a remarkable achievement.

James Higham said...

Pity about the young man Tumbridge whom I'd been following through Ellee.

Anonymous said...

Must be time for bed. I read that as George Foreman .....!

Anonymous said...

James Tumbridge was excellent in the final. His peformance highlights just one of the many shocking omissions on the so-called A-list.

I only hope his dignified approach throughout the selection process raises this young man's profile.