Thursday, November 20, 2008

Treat Yourself to Mango Groove

Back in 1994 I used to spend a lot of time in a cafe called Aroma in St Martin's Lane, next to the Coliseum. Part of the reason I liked the place (it's no longer there) was the music they played - lots of South American and African stuff. It was there that I came to love a South African Afropop band called MANGO GROOVE.

I cannot tell you how happy I am. I have just learned that after ten years, they have reformed and will be playing a London concert in 2009. There are probably only five bands I would literally kill to make sure I got tickets to see, and MANGO GROOVE head the list. This song, NICE TO SEE YOU is typical of their upbeat, pennywhistle based music...



Special Star is a brilliant pennywhistle tune - few lyrics, but very evocative.




But they also sing some fabulous ballads. You may remember this one, ANOTHER COUNTRY, which was used in adverts for South African Airways a few years ago.



Anyway, if you'd like to hear more sample of their music, there are loads of videos on THIS Youtube page, and they also have a WEBSITE now. If anyone knows when or where they are planning a concert in London, please DO let me know!!! And finally, do you want to eat a mango?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you their agent?

Null said...

Cool music Iain.

Anonymous said...

crikey,iain you are a dark horse...

Anonymous said...

"Literally kill"... for tickets to a band? I think you just made me glad you're not an MP. I dread to think what you'd do to see Abba... mass genocide coupled with a dash of nuclear holocaust?

It's not even as if it were Rush.

Anonymous said...

I second you on this one Iain ... MG have a unique sound that can be so uplifting - we kicked off our wedding reception with a very loud 'Dance sum more' - scared the hell out of the older relatives but worked a treat.

Iain Dale said...

JD I assume you wrote that with your tongue firmly in your cheek.

Obnoxio The Clown said...

Nice find, Iain. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey,that's so sick man!

Ed said...

Mention of Mango Grove certainly has triggered some nice memories Iain, thanks!

I would be very keen to see them if they come over to London. Prompted by your post I have sent an email to Mango Groove public email as well as well as one of the band members who I vaguely know, asking for details.

See you there on the night!

If I get any responses I'll let you know.

Meantime, here is another band you may enjoy. I got to hear of them whilst in South Africa a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLuSyqMlm_U

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Iain: it's superb! I look forward to meeting you at the gig.

The Remittance Man said...

I saw them live about 15 years ago in Rustenburg. Brilliant band and Claire Johnson was a real honey. Hell! They even managed to get the crowd in a small, very conservative, Afrikaaner mining town jiving. And that was before the 94 elections.

Paul Halsall said...

Much better that your usual musical "taste". I mean, like, dude...

Flora said...

If you like South African you should try Brenda Fassie, fell in love with her music when I was travelling in South Africa in 04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-1uQoBOl4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfG3JxU0B28&feature=related