Sunday, January 02, 2005

Who's Worried Now?

I have just been trawling through the website PoliticalBetting.com who generally seem to believe I will win in North Norfolk, although our friend James (who often posts comments on this Blog) naturally takes a different view. I was especially interested in this posting from someone who has been talking to a LibDem activist in Norfolk

151. Just spent a very long time on the phone to an old friend and LD activist. A take on the seats in Norfolk:

North Norfolk: Lamb is in a lot of trouble due to Iain Dale (who made the Times man-of-2005 list today). Plenty of fear amongsts LibDems especially because they can’t get enough help. Tories out-canvassing and out-leafletting the LDs. Predict: C gain, small majority

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Iain - Noni here.

You're beginning to sound a bit too jumpy - bad tactics - you need to cool down a bit.

Iain Dale said...

Hey Noni, I'm chillin'...

Anonymous said...

No such luck Iain. My mother lives in North Norfolk and says that even staunch Conservatives are so impressed with Norman Lamb as a constituency MP that despite their natural political affiliations, they are planning to vote him back in to represent them for another term.

Iain Dale said...

In 15 months I have come across one Conservative who has said that. However, I am sure there may be some more out there somewhere. But they will be counterbalanced by people who think along these lines - here's an email I got this morning from a friend..

"I thought I’d pass on a conversation I had on Sunday with two died-in-the-wool Liberal Democrats who live near Fakenham and who have decided they’re voting Tory in the Election because the Lib Dems ‘are too left wing’ – nationally."

Anonymous said...

I didn't think there were any 'died in the wool' Liberal Democrats. You are not really 'born' a Lib Democrat are you. Isn't is usually that Liberal Democrats make a very definite independent decision as a young person or adult to choose that particular way of thinking or voting in response to what is on offer and how the different parties respond to what is going on in the world or at home. Unlike the two othermore traditional parties, I didn't think they were really tribal in that way? Thats my take on it anyway?

Iain Dale said...

Not sure some of my LibDem friends (yes, I do have some!) would necessarily agree with you on that!

Anonymous said...

Just for some balance Iain taken over the last few days:

It’s an historical fact that once LD people get elected, they are extremely difficult to dislodge. Ian Dale is unusually good as a ToryPPC but he will not beat Norman Lamb who is a superb constituency MP. Aso Norman beat a Tory vice-Chair last time whose constituency campaign activists numbered 100s of people.


I don’t know enough about the former two to comment - although the Lib Dems success in local elections in North Norfolk and Stockport is a good omen for them.

Iain Dale said...

We'll see, won't we.