Sunday, January 09, 2005

Paulo di Cani..oh no!


Paulo di Canio was my hero - the most gifted footballer I have ever seen. I cherish my memories of singing "Paolo di Can-i-o, Paolo di Can-i-o to the tune of Rigoletto on the terraces at West Ham, but tonight he celebrated Lazio's derby win with the Saluto Romano with the stiff-armed fascist salute. Alessandra Mussolini, grand-daughter of the late dictator and herself a far-right politician, praised Di Canio's actions. "How nice that Roman salute was, it delighted me so much," she said, "I shall write him a thank-you note". Pass the sick bag, Alice. He may have been a brilliant footballer, but his sudden rushes of blood to the head do not seem to have dissipated with age. Prat. Posted by Hello

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If that's the kind of thing they get up to in Europe, we should leave the EU.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting probably the most stupid comment I have ever read. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your congratulations Prince Harry, but I thought you were going to keep a low profile after your latest escapade.

Anonymous said...

Iain, Upton Park went all-seater in 1995; Paolo di Canio joined West Ham in 1999, so I don't see how you could have watched him from the terraces. Shades of Tony Blair and wor Jackie methinks.
My favourite variation of the Paolo di Canio / Rigoletto theme was the Chelsea version directed at Liverpool fans: 'Where's my car ster-e-o ?'.

Iain Dale said...

I really must learn not to be so loose with my language. Delete terraces insert stand. Season ticket holder 1991-2004. East Stand Upper. Row X Seat 204. Until we got moved to the new Dr Martens Stand. Not quite the same atmosphere there, it has to be said.

Anonymous said...

Paolo di Can-i-o
He's not a man-i-o
He plays for Laz-i-o
'Cos he's a Naz-i-o

Anonymous said...

At last someone who is not afraid to let their true feelings show. Nothing to be ashamed about, just a different (and more traditional) European view. Ave.

Kind of sick of the british "Well I never!!!" brigade. Especially from Tunbridge Wells. Lots of people think it but are too timid to say it. We're going to start saying it out loud.