Sunday, April 05, 2009

Duplicity and Love

I seem to have developed a worrying habit of going to the cinema to see the wrong film. Some years ago I went to see LORD OF THE RINGS, thinking I was going to watch a remake of the Lord of the Flies. Last night, in Cardiff, I went to see DUPLICITY, a film starring Clive Owen and Julia Roberts. I had remembered seeing a trailer with Clive Owen in it. The only trouble, it turns out the trailer had been for THE INTERNATIONAL. DUPLICITY is a poor man's HUSTLE, with an incredibly ropey and belaboured plot and wooden dialogue. But there was one line, which I remember, which rather hit home. It concerned a definition of love.It went something like this...

She knows who I am, what I'm like. But she loves me anyway.

Are your cockles warmed?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

so how are you liking Cardiff

Gordon Brown said...

Read any good books lately?!

Iain Dale said...

Valleys, I always love coming to Cardiff. I'll be writing about my two days here a bit later.

AnonaLon, I'm reading the latest Piers Morgam diaries at the moment!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying Cardiff - I spent 3 years at university there.

Gordon Brown said...

Best book I have ever read is They Have Their Exits by Airey Neave (appropriate book recommendation for a Tory blog I feel!)

Conand said...

Hang on! Hang on!!

I love Iain dearly, but this is the guy who has never seen most of the films on Brown's Region 1 DVDs!!
I trust him implicitly as a Political Pundit; as a film reviewer?? Non.
Having said that, a review of 'The Damned United' on Da Dale Diary would be of use to me, as what I know about Football could be written on the back of a microdot with a fat felt tip

FIN

Simon Gardner said...

“I'm reading the latest Piers Morgan diaries at the moment!”

Aargh. The smuggest Englishman on the planet. (Is ‘smuggest’ a word?)

Rush-is-Right said...

To find oneself in total agreement with Simone Gardner is slightly unsettling.