Sunday, April 08, 2007

Book Review: Piers Morgan's 'Don't You Know Who I Am?

Some time ago I rated Piers Morgan's INSIDER as one of my Top Ten Political Diaries. This weekend I have been reading the follow up, DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM. It did not disappoint.

This book seems to have been written contemperaneously unlike the last one. It takes us on Piers's journey from sacked newspaper editor to B List celebrity and unltimately to him becoming the new Simon Cowell in the USA. He has an engaging, and rather vulnerable, writing style and no matter how much you feel you should hate him, you end up thinking 'good on him'. He admits he's arrogant, rude, self obsessed and hungry for celebrity, but this doesn't stop him having a go at people who are just as flawed.

He's on a journey seeking to understand the modern day concept of celebrity and ends up being enveloped within its stifling confines. Will it gather him up and spit him out? I guess we will have to wait for the third in the trilogy.

It's a long time since I have read a hardback book in two days. I'll now start reading Francis Elliott & James Hanning's biography of David Cameron.

4 comments:

Scipio said...

let's hope that his journey turns him into less of a tosser (that said, I did like him going head to head with the hypocrite who edits the Grauniad)!

Savonarola said...

Piers Morgan is what is wrong with this country. Surprised you rate his third rate 'fiction' in your so called Top Ten of political diaries.

Chris Paul said...

You do know that a hardback book has the same number of words in it as a paperback of the same title doncha? Doncha?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.

When will we get an insider's diary on his time running the paper?

Matt