Monday, May 10, 2010

A Blind Date With Lembit Opik


If you want a lighthearted break from the breaking news, have a listen to this 20 minute clip from Richard Bacon's programme this afternoon. I took part in Political Blind Date with Lembit Opik and Lance Price. They even played the Blind Date music and provided Graham, for the quick reminder. Lembit was playing Nick Clegg, I ws playing David Cameron and Lance Price was playing Gordon Brown. Lance and I were tasked with wooing Lembit into a coalition. Did I succeed? Will you hear me impersonating William Hague?

Click HERE to find out and scroll in 1 hour 11 minutes.

Incidentally, Lembit told me that he had no idea he was going to lose until an hour before the count finished. He's clearly still in shock but is trying to cope with his loss in the best way he can. He appeared on HIGNFY only seven hours after his result was announced, and put in an excellent performance.

6 comments:

Paul Davison said...

I remember watching the BBC coverage online and was struck by the grace with which Mr. Opik responded to his defeat immediately after the declaration. I sometimes wonder how well our US politicians would handle public declarations like the UK uses.

Curmy said...

Oh dear Iain , I don't know why you appear on any of Richard Bacon's programmes !

I'm surprised it never occurred to Lembit Opik that he might lose , considering his appearances in the gossip columns.

John said...

Thumbs up Lembit...

Anonymous said...

I listened to this live yesterday afternoon - great fun, and not as trivial as I had expected. Iain, Lembit Opik and Lance Price came across as good sports.

Anonymous said...

Given that his demise has looked increasingly likely since he took that well-paid cruise in the middle of the parliamentary session last December to howls of outrage from the local press and all his political opponents, his claim he had no idea he was going to lose smacks of truly shocking ignorance.

I will agree with him, however, that prior to the scandal it was generally expected by Welsh political anoraks, including Heledd Fychan (the Plaid candidate) that Glyn Davies would run him very close but not beat him. Did he simply think he had it in the bag and not bother?

Richard T said...

Whilst he has been (and I hope will be) an ornament to our politics, there is a limit to which you can push a conservative non-conformist welsh community. He should have seen it coming.