Saturday, April 07, 2007

Third Time Up the Arsenal?

Some of you may remember that Arsenal supporters on the Arseblog website got a bit hot under the collar with me last year when I expressed my hatred for their team.

Well, I'm writing this from deep inside enemy territory - yes I'm at the Emirates stadium to watch Arsenal play the Hammers. I wondered if I should wear a disguise. I've left my Julian Dicks shirt at home. Wimp.

It is a fantastic stadium. Big seats and lots of legroom which is great for 6'2 fat bastards like me. It feels very much like a US sports arena. I suspect it is very difficult to get a really good atmosphere going in here.

The bit I am sitting in is full of what I would call nouveau foot ball fans - remember the Fast Show sketch? Well it's a bit like that - full of Johnny Come Lately football fans. Very different to the clientele at Upton Park.

They just had Matt Lucas introducing the game on the video screens. And at Upton Park we get Billy from East Enders. That just about sums up the difference!

We won this game 3-2 last season and beat Arsenal at Upton Park earlier this season. A third win on the trot woud come in very handy indeed. Don't worry - political coverage will resume shortly!

UPDATE: Well, as you can imagine, my joy is unconfined. One Nil to the Cockney Boys!!!

15 comments:

The Dirty Rat said...

Ian.
They once called football the 'beautiful game'
Now I much prefer to watch a game of tennis. http://ratty-lastratofftheship.blogspot.com/

Colin D said...

It's looking good at half time Iain, Hope they hold up during second half.

Peter from Putney said...

Is this to be THE biggest result of the season for your lot?

David Anthony said...

March 4th - West Ham Till I Die
We are down. No two ways about it. But we have to take heart from this performance


Oh Ye Of Little Faith...

Alan Douglas said...

NO !

After they fired Pardew I quit being a fan, but I might have to reconsider ....

0 - ! !

Alan Douglas

Anonymous said...

I assume not until you sober up now!!!!!!!

Chris Paul said...

FT 0:1 Well I never. Your prediction may even be right after all. And my contrary one wrong. Good goalkeeping or what?

Anonymous said...

2I've left my Julian Dicks shirt at home.


What's wrong with the 'Tory Dicks' shirt?

kris said...

I saw the Arsehole lose the plot against PSV. Alex got his goal 8 minutes before time and it was like someone pulled the electrics. The fans were struck dumb and the players may as well have just walked off.

Arsenal have never recovered.

With nothing to play for they all thought they could go into cruise control. Now, I predict they will struggle for a top four place.

Far more interesting at the moment is Uncle Roy's march up the championship table.

Richard Havers said...

Being a Spurs fan it's always good to see the Arse take a beating. Even better because my agent is an Arsenal fan. Having said that for some extraordinary reason I've agreed to go to Newcastle on Monday with a friend of mine - he's an Arse fan too. I just have to hope they again take a beating and I don't!

Anonymous said...

"After they fired Pardew I quit being a fan."

I love oxymorons...

The Military Wing Of The BBC said...

How long did it take to get OUT of the stadium?

Emirates seems to have been carefully designed to make everyone stay behind and buy another beer/pie "to avoid the rush" and boost the average spend at the Stadium.

- hence the big seats, and the cheap/non existent transport improvements that the Lib Dems at Islington council DID NOT insist on when planning for the stadium went through.

Anonymous said...

Iain,
Can you please let us have the phone number of Green's witchdoctor, juju man, shaman or whoever else he consults to bring such astonishing and consistent fortune? We need it for next week's lottery draw. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I sitting in a tube train when a man sat opposite me and took out newspaper with headline "DICKS OUT".
It took a moment to realise the headline was on the back page and the story was about Mr Julian Dicks Esq. being unavailable to play for "The Hammers".

Anonymous said...

So Iain, you're sat in the Emirates, updating your blog. I'm sure you don't look anything like all the 'Johnny Come Latelys' sitting around you!

And you won, so I'm allowed to be bitter! :P