Friday, May 05, 2006

Will Charles Clarke Make a Commons Resignation Statement

Who can tell me what the rules are on Cabinet Ministers who resign being allowed to make a resignation statement? I suspect Charles Clarke might rather like to make one. Go to Nick Robinson's blog where there is a link to the interview he's just done with Clarke. I will post a political obituary on Charles Clarke a bit later. He's a proud man and is clearly devastated.

Just heard that Patricia Hewitt is staying as Health Secretary. If there is one Minister the public cannot abide, it's her. From Conservative viewpoint I am delighted she is staying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I'm amazed she's managed to survive. Couldn't Tony not have just offered her a peerage to resign?

Anonymous said...

Much as I despise his stance on ID cards I'm still quite shocked at the descent of Charles Clarke - of all the Labour ministers the most incompetent (Beckett) gets a promotion and one of their best is discarded.

Clarke finally resigned with dignity and that should be commended but how did it come to this?

Anonymous said...

Mr clarke has no dignity left and was sacked i think we can safely ignore the "he offered me several posts in government " bullshit

Anonymous said...

Charles Clarke never struck me as a person who takes orders. His "bad blood" departure from cabinet reminds me of a similar departure, that of Michael Heseltine. And we know what problems Heseltine created for Margaret Thatcher.

As far as Charles Clarke is concerned, there is now no love lost with the PM and Brown, and he is now free to challenge Brown for the forthcoming top job.