Monday, May 15, 2006

Paxman or Esler: Can You Tell the Difference?

I have just been reading the Independent, which on Mondays has an excellent media section. I was enjoying it until I got to the Kathy Lette MY MEDIA column. She says:

Last week I watched... Paxo on Newsnight, just for the look he gives politicians. It's the kind of look you give a sewage truck that has backed over the groom on your wedding day. And this week he gave it to the MPs Paul Clark and Chris Grayling.

The only trouble is, it was actually Gavin Esler who interviewed Clark and Grayling. I know, I was the next item on the programme!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Journalist in "getting the facts right" shocka...

macles said...

Had she been at the gin...again?

Anonymous said...

Interesting you picked out this Lette creature Iain. She annoyed me a week or so ago on a radio chat show, sounding like a poor man's Ruby Wax. Sorry Kathy; you ain't funny. Women aren't. Well, Dorothy Parker was witty. But nobody since.

Anonymous said...

Kathy Lette = Mrs Geoffrey Robertson QC and "writer in residence at The Savoy". Good social conections will overcome lack of talent every time.

SERO

Craig Ranapia said...

Bizarre synchronicity - I'm just reading Graham Lord's unauthorised (and far from friendly) biography of John Mortimer, and Lette keeps poping up like a trans-gendered Les Patterson. I have an acquaintance who once interviewed her, and came up with this lethal assessment: "She stated out as a third-rate Germaine Greer wannabe, and ended up as a fifth-rate Julie Birchill." Ouch.

neil craig said...

Journalistic integrity should require that the Indie put in an equally prominent apology tomorrow.

Any bets?