Saturday, May 20, 2006

A Good Walk Spoiled!

This afternoon I joined King's Hill Golf Club at West Malling. In the late 1980s and 1990s I used to play a lot of golf and got my handicap down to 18, but what with one thing or another I just haven't had the time over the last few years. A couple of years ago I bought a new set of Wilson Deep Red Clubs but just haven't used them much. That's going to change. I played my third round of the year this afternoon and after a very shaky start (8 and 10!) I got into the groove, shooting a birdie on a par 3 (gaining me 5 points on the Stableford system - unheard of!) and a par on the next par 3. I ended up scoring 49 on the front nine, which bearing in mind the first two holes was quite an achievement. We decided to stop after nine as it was very wet and windy. Don't worry, I shan't bore you too much with my golfing exploits over the summer - well, I will if I do well! But if any of you fancy a game and you don't live too far from Tunbridge Wells, let me know!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you fancy a round on the Strand Pitch and Putt in Gillingham?

Curly said...

I don't know how you managed to fit nine holes of golf in between stints at the keyboard!

Haven't seen a good swing in South Shields since 1980 when we elected four Conservatives to the old Tyne Wear County Council!

http://south-shields.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I thought you were a member of RTW?

Good round considering lay off.

I am periodically in your area so would welcome a round if we can find a mutually convenient date/time.

If you ever travel east, you(and friends) are welcome to join me for a round at Hindhead GC. Lots of heather, trees and v scenic. One place where golf will not be a good walk spoiled.

Anonymous said...

you claim to have scored 49 on the front 9.

i dont think so.

u didnt score on the first 2. that means you need to have scored 49 off 7 holes. on the S system - that means 7 points per hole. even if you repeated your 5 points on the par 3 7 times...

inconceivable, as you will realise.

u shd try a round with clinton, hes scores like u.

Iain Dale said...

Anonymous, I scored 49 shots in 9 holes (including an 8 and 10 on the first two), which translated into 21 points in Stapleford.

Anonymous said...

Iain

Its "Stableford".

Polly Toynbee would call me a 'pendant' for this stricture

Iain Dale said...

I did wonder about that as I typed it. I have now corrected it. In answer to your previous post, I was a member for RTW for a year (you are very well informed!) but when I was selected in North Norfolk I let my membership lapse. I's only played about twice anyway. let me know when you;re around here and maybe we have a swift 9 or 18 holes!