Monday, May 08, 2006

Sven Loses His Marbles

The World Cup Squad has just been announced. He has only picked four strikers -five if you can stretch to calling Joe Cole a striker. They are Wayne Rooney (crocked), Michael Owen (crocked), Peter Crouch (crap), Theo Walcott (never even played for his club).

Darren Bent 20 goals this season
Marlon Harewood 16 goals
Jermain Defoe proven goalscorer
Dean Ashton proven goalscorer
and a whole host more

Words fail me.

UPDATE: The BBC football website describes Jermain Defoe as a West Ham player. Hilarious. And many congratulations to Nigel Reo-Coker for making the standby list. How you could pick Owen Hargeaves over him, I don't know. And if Aaron Lennon's performance at Upton Park yesterday was anything to go by then we're in for a major disappointment. I'll put it down to the food poisoning as all my Tottenahm supporting friends assure me he's brillaint. I remain to be convinced that he's better than Matthew Etherington, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owen Hargreaves is useless, he is just the sort of defensive minded player Sven brings on when England are 1 nil down to try and win the game. Its crazy.

Campbell should have been dropped and we need some strikers as our main 2 are both injured.

Im so pleased Sven is leaving

Anonymous said...

Reo Coker would be a million times better than Hargreaves.

Iain, is there a football equivalent blog of Guido?

Anonymous said...

God - Theo Walcott?? A very strange choice - as you say, what about Defoe or Bent? They must be extremely pissed off to say the least to have a child picked over them.

Anonymous said...

Harsh on Peter Crouch but agree with the sentiments. Thank God Svens leaving after the world cup.

Anonymous said...

Well Iain,

Welcome to Sven’s world, this man is a fool, all I can say is thank god he’s going August.

It’s so very frustrating to look at this list especially knowing how injury prone Owen is and having Rooney doubtful. It only makes sense to put in stronger players like Defoe, not Theo WHO!!!! I don’t agree with your comment about Crouch being crap though, you should be careful what you say with a certain pending match this weekend; he may make you eat your words, I truly hope not.

dizzy said...

Iain, you are not alone in your incredulity. I can assure that my colleagues and I are equally confused by Sven's decision. The only words that we seem to be able to muster is "we're going to lose"

Anonymous said...

I don't object to bringing Walcott but we do not need to bring along Hargreaves in midfield. He should be dropped and one of Defoe/Bent/Harewood/Fowler brought in. They should get rid of Sol Campbell and Wayne Bridge as well. Neither has been playing well and both have suffered injuries. Instead they should take the boy Dawson from Tottenham who is in good form and Luke Young as well.

ian said...

Aaron Lennon is indeed quite impressive. He was the only player I've seen that looked to have the measure of Matthieu Flamini in his time as a left back.

Oh, that's come over all sarcastic again. Really, he's quite good.

Anonymous said...

Without Phil Neville England are doomed!