Sunday, May 07, 2006

I've Given Away My Cup Final Ticket!


Is West Ham defender Danny Gabbidon a little over-excited at West Ham's progress to the Cup Final? No Prescott problems for him, it seems...

From my Indy on Sunday diary column...

Next week’s FA Cup final will be an emotional occasion for the supporters of my own team West Ham United, as it’s the first time in twenty six years they’ve played in it. But there are also some very unhappy Hammers due to the ridiculous allocation of 23,500 tickets allocated to both teams. Bearing in mind the stadium seats 74,500 one wonders where the other 28,500 tickets have gone – not doubt to mates of the ‘FA Suits’. Of the twelve people who hold season tickets in my block at Upton Park, I’m the only one to have managed to get a ticket. I spent an hour on the phone and on the internet to do so. My neighbour has had an Upton Park season ticket since 1958 and is distraught at not having got a ticket. So I’ve made the ultimate sacrifice and given him mine. What a fool. Anyone got a spare ticket?

I shall be off to Upton Park this afternoon to enjoy seeing Tottenham's Champions League dream evaporate. The trouble is, this would mean Arsenal qualifying automatically. And if there's one club I loathe more than Tottenham, its the Gooners.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Iain, football is probably the one thing more tribal than politics!

Sorry to disappoint you, but Spurs just have that bit more to play for - and a better midfield

You're going to miss Dean Ashton today, and much as Keane/Mido being out may hurt, Carrick, Davids, Lennon and Tainio will more than make up for it, and the law of returning players will come into force with Defoe up front to put a couple away

Plus, no matter how professional they are, your players will rightly have one eye on next weekend, when they will go out and upset the red machine!

Anyway, with al the ex-spurs players in your side, do you think they will want to be the ones that let those I cannot even name nick 4th at the death? :-D

macles said...

I'm afraid the scousers are going to teach you some hard football lessons. But well done on an excellent first season back in the Premiership. Pardew has worked miracles. Marlon Harewood for Ing-Er-Land has been mentioned (perish the thought).

And be fair. Credit to Arsenal, and Wenger. I know his reactions to the perpetual injustice committed against his team, by the media, footballing authorities, other teams, and refrees grate a little, but the Champions League campaign this season has been quite fabulous. I really hope they win in Paris, then I'll get back to hating them again.

dizzy said...

Spurs - if they get 4th - will do exactly what Everton did this year. The opinions of Evertonians are rarely wrong.

ContraTory said...

The milkybar kid is right Iain, unfortunately...

Anonymous said...

Spurs have a bit more? Yes food poisoning for one.

Anonymous said...

And so I hold my head in shame and simply say you played us off the park. No excuses, the better side won

We still did far better than we could have hoped back in August, and am looking forward to Thursday nights at the Lane next season, as I am sure you are at Upton Park.

See you at the Easyjet check-in desk :-D

Croydonian said...

All hail King Yossi..

Meanwhile, surrendering your Cup Final ticket like so is extemely righteous of you.