Thursday, April 01, 2010

Calm Down, It's an April Fool!


I've just been told that the Government Media Monitoring Unit just sent out the text of my April Fool blogpost below to their full list, including Gus O Donnell etc...

And the Ministry of Justice press office are getting calls from national newspapers...

And the Electoral Commission is in a blind panic.

Oh, the joy. And they say blogs have no influence!

UPDATE 10.55: Just took a call from senior BBC political journo (no, not that one) who had been working on the story for the previous half hour but couldn't stand it up. Wonder why that'd be, then...

UPDATE: Just to show what a good sport he is, Jack Straw's SPAD Mark Davies has joined in the fun. Earlier this morning he sent me this email. I decided to spare his blushes, but he's cleaerly now enjoying the joke...



PS My plans for a walk in the woods are being quietly abandoned...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

5 attempts this morning by my kids to play an april fools on me and I fall to this. Dont know whether to say congratulations to you or just hide my head in shame.

Oh well hell have to call it soon.. unless of course the returning officers is all one devious plan to stay in power longer.

Unknown said...

now is this an April fools too? :p

Anonymous said...

Fan-bloody-tastic! Well done, now don't let this power go to your head, think of the mischief that could be caused.

Scary Biscuits said...

Good one, Dale. I'm a bit disappointed you called it so early though. Surely you could have let them stew until midday?

TheBoilingFrog said...

Good work Iain, (unless of course this post is a further April Fool?) I admit myself yours (so far) is the only one that has got me - if only for a minute or so - before I realised.

Ginro said...

I have to say that there have been so many genuinely crazy stories in the press the past few days it can be difficult to find the one that's fake, lol.

ferial ferret said...

Magnificent - clearly this useless government has no idea what day it is, today, or any other.

The spoofs in the Guardian are pretty good too

Unsworth said...

You're not supposed to reveal all until mid-day.

Mind, revealing all may prove worrisome.

The Grim Reaper said...

Let's see more mischief making in this manner on the blog please, Mr D. ;-)

Unknown said...

Comic that they actually bought it! But aren't April Fools supposedly intrinsically funny? What was funny about your piece? It was all too believable...

simonh said...

Yes, I think an April Fool traditionally contains a clue such as a name that's an anagram of April Fool or a reference to something having to happen before noon etc etc. Alternatively, it should be genuinely outlandish (spaghetti trees etc)

Without that, it's more of a hoax or, dare I say it, a lie....