Monday, February 23, 2009

Nadine to Twitter? The World Awaits

Nadine Dorries MP has just written a blogpost announcing that she was about to start twittering ... but after reading THIS article by Peter Whittle she had second thoughts ... but is now having third thoughts and will probably do it anyway.

Whittle reports that some psychotherapists argue that Twitter users must be deeply insecure people...
'What kind of person shares information with the world the minute they get it? And just who are the “followers” willing to tune into this rolling news service of the ego?The clinical psychologist Oliver James has his reservations. “Twittering stems from a lack of identity. It’s a constant update of who you are, what you are, where you are. Nobody would Twitter if they had a strong sense of identity.”

“We are the most narcissistic age ever,” agrees Dr David Lewis, a cognitive neuropsychologist and director of research based at the University of Sussex. “Using Twitter suggests a level of insecurity whereby, unless people recognise you, you cease to exist. It may stave off insecurity in the short term, but it won’t cure it.”
So, I and my 2,200 stalkers followers are people who lack identity, are narcissistic and insecure. No wonder Draper signed up to it...

Anyway, should you wish to prove your insecurity and join Twitter and follow my feed, click HERE! You know you want to.

9 comments:

Old Holborn said...

I agree

I have twitter on the OH site and use it for absolute shite. I see it as having no useful purpose at all.

A bit like you Iain

Bird said...

I suppose twittering is an extension of texting. I shouldn't really care, but I still get irritated when I see young women (particularly) unable to walk ten yards along the road without anxiously checking to see whether there is a text message for them.

Anonymous said...

I don't really understand it.
I registered on it (if that's what you do) but I have absolutely no idea how to get it linked to my mobile; and I've no idea how I'd use it.
How useful do you find it Iain? Or is it more of a hobby?

Seems like harmless fun to me - who takes any notice of what psychotherapists have to say? Regardless of where they got their qualifications!

Chris said...

'If hummingbirds could type,' as someone said. It seems that Oliver James has used up this decade's ration of sensibleness.

Gordon Brown said...

I find Twitter really good for newsfeeds and breaking news stories. So far, I think it is really just a bit of fun though.

More to the point, what is the purpose of Facebook?

My current theory is that it offers a sort of "celebrity status" to every user. John Lennon said that we are all famous for 15 minutes but on Facebook you can remain "famous" for eternity - even if very few people are interested in hearing what you are up to or seeing your pictures.

If Twitter is micro-blogging, then Facebook is micro- celebrity status.

Anonymous said...

I've given up Twittering and feel realy liberated!

Chris Paul said...

Nadine has been twittering for years and years. Presumably she will be having no incoming?? Like her so-called "blog".

Anonymous said...

I quite fancy Nadine. She should have been on the list fo...never mind...

Weygand said...

Those interested in linguistics and neologisms must be hotly debating how to describe those who 'twitter'.

Should one adopt the common practice of adding 'er' to the verb or simply use the verb stem (my own preference).

I note that the Chambers dictionary defines the noun 'twitter' as 'a tremulous feeble chirping; a flutter of the nerves'.

Dr Johnson could not have put it better.