Friday, March 16, 2007

The Thoggers: And The Award Goes To...

Bryan Appleyard, one of the best journalist bloggers around, has nominated me as a Thinking Blogger. I can think of a few people who might take issue with that, but there you go. These awards (if they actually exist!) are called The Thoggers. He now says I have to tag five other bloggers who often cause me to think about what they have written. They, in turn, have to nominate five more. So, I hereby nominate...

Dave's Part

Liberal England

Stephen Tall

EU Referendum

West Brom Blog

UPDATE: Dave's Part has written THIS: "I don't usually do those 'viral meme' thingies. But I am a bit flattered to have been named as a 'thinking blogger' by Iain Dale. Yes, I do know he's a Tory and will probably have to be one of the first up against the wall come the glorious day. But he is the most widely-read blogger in Britain, after all. And he is sufficiently politically savvy to understand why his execution will be objectively necessary."

I am not sure if he means the Cameron revolution, or what...!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Iain posted on the wrong thread a second ago but how can you be a thinking blogger if you don't know what nihilism is. You are an excellent gossip blogger but Chris Dillow or Matthew Sinclair are the men to go to when it comes to thinking and analytically understanding blogging.

Iain Dale said...

Fair point. But I was nominated. I didn;t nominate myself. I have never hidden my philistinic inclinations! I am not familiar with Chris Dillow but Matthew writes a very good blog indeed.

David Anthony said...

Me thinks this is a clever marketing ploy for the thinking blogger...

I thought chain letters were a thing of the past.

Chris Palmer said...

I wonder whether anon above is Tim Ireland (hmm?)

What counts a non-thinking blogger though?

Anonymous said...

The term thogger is too intentional and too precious. It won't catch on. The term blogger was organic.

And that other great blogging word, Perry de Havilland's inspired "moonbat" was instantly recognised as perfect and, like all the best catch phrases and neologisms, was being used routinely within 24 hours. It is now common throughout the entire Anglo-blogosphere.

Thogger, I predict, will be a thunking great over-engineered failure.

Anonymous said...

How do I know for sure? Because I will bet you that it will be used within a week by Tony Blair or a member of the cabinet, trying to be trendy. Kiss. of. death.

Anonymous said...

Bryan is the most boring, long-winded blogger I know. Very smug and always stating the obvious. His photo alone is annoying.
I always assumed those references to him being a journalist were a joke. I'm genuinely surprised to find they're true.

Anonymous said...

Well being nominated is fine and I accept that. I don't think I'd define you as a thinking blogger even so- you strike me as a very good gossip blogger and a very engaging personality but not a great thinker or philosophic intelligence about politics. Its weird but I think it demonstrates how the blogosphere is filled with different people- incidentally you should definitely read Chris Dillow, his blog is here and though its left wing is one of the most interesting blogs on the internet. Incidentally guys I'm not Tim Ireland- though I followed the controversy- I think Iain's blog is good but it isn't one that makes me rethink my politics. Blogs have different audiences and purposes and this one fulfills its purpose admirably.