Sunday, February 05, 2006

Have You Bought Sparks' New Album Yet?

It's amazing to think that SPARKS have been around for 30 years. Erasure, the Pet Shop Boys and even David Bowie all say that they were keen influences on their music. And yet they remain largely unknown except to a small band of diehard fans, of whom I count myself as one. I have all of their previous 20 Albums, which include such popular songs as Now That I Own the BBC! They've got a new Album out this week, which the Daily Telegraph amazingly has made their CD of the Week. You may think you don't know them, but you'd undoubtedly recongise This Town Ain't Big Enough for the Both of Us (recently covered by The Darkness) if you heard it, or Beat the Clock, or The Number One Song in Heaven. Do yourself a favour and get hold of the new album, Hello Young Lovers! It's only £8.99 on Amazon and is already 26 in their CD chart! Here's the Telegraph review of the CD by David Cheal...

Three years since they said "goodbye to the beat" on their extraordinary Lil' Beethoven album, Californian brothers Ron and Russell Mael have emerged, blinking, from another epic spell in their studio with this equally strange and beautiful disc. Because this new collection in many ways follows in the eccentric footsteps of its predecessor, it inevitably lacks some of that album's impact, its shock-of-the-newness, the sense that it was year zero for Sparks and that they had torn up the rulebook and started again. That doesn't mean, however, that Hello Young Lovers is any less good. It's extraordinary. How long must singer Russell Mael have spent in front of the microphone, recording what sometimes sound like hundreds of vocal tracks, to create such a rich, textured sound? What malevolent psyche cooked up such nuggets of weirdness as (Baby Baby) Can I Invade Your Country ("I need the enjoyment of rapid deployment")? At a time when most bands of their generation have either signed up for the nostalgia circuit or retired to run antiques shops in Norfolk, Sparks are making the most radical, the most out-there and the most memorable music of their 20-album, 30-odd-year career. If your last experience of Sparks was of their big, ringing '70s commercial breakthrough This Town Ain't Big Enough for Both of Us, or of fun tunes from their hi-nrg period such as When I Kiss You (I Hear Charlie Parker Playin'), it's best to explain where they are now coming from. They no longer make music that could be described as "rock" or "dance"; their oeuvre, with its emphasis on repetition and layering and linear structure, and its use of strings and synthesizers and piano, owes as much to contemporary classical composers such as Philip Glass as it does to the pop charts. It's still, however, wholly listenable, often very funny, and mostly (with the exception of the overblown closing track) very beautiful. Perfume is sweet and melodic; Waterproof sees them cast off their cloak of irony to produce something uplifting, moving. And on the most sensational track, There's No Such Thing as Aliens, the title phrase repeats and builds to devastating, head-spinning, operatic effect. It's sensational. Right now, no one else in the world is making music like this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't wait to hear this and bought it on iTunes for instant gratification. It is marvellous - I'm glad after all this time they're still doing their own thing, brilliantly - and if anything I think I prefer this album and Lil' Beethoven (which is a real classic) to the earlier work.

It's so refreshing to hear an album that doesn't sound like a thousand albums before it :)

woodywooruss said...

I actually own three Sparks albums, The one, Lil Beethoven and Plagarism. As a teenager I found them very entertaining and liked all the singles, but not enough to buy them. I bought Lil Beethoven about 3 years ago on a whim. I don't know what I was expecting to hear, but it was an epiphany. I have become a born again Sparks fan. Hello Young Lovers consolidates this. The telegraph review says it all. This is sublime music. I have recommended this album to all me muso friends and to a man (sorry about that, but they are), have all instantly made it their album of 2006.

woodywooruss said...

I actually own three Sparks albums, The one, Lil Beethoven and Plagarism. As a teenager I found them very entertaining and liked all the singles, but not enough to buy them. I bought Lil Beethoven about 3 years ago on a whim. I don't know what I was expecting to hear, but it was an epiphany. I have become a born again Sparks fan. Hello Young Lovers consolidates this. The telegraph review says it all. This is sublime music. I have recommended this album to all me muso friends and to a man (sorry about that, but they are), have all instantly made it their album of 2006.