Thursday, March 24, 2005

Flaneur

I have had several definitions of a flaneur. Not sure I like what I hear, but there you go...!

What's a flâneur? "An idle man-about-town," one of those fin-de-siècle
dandies who ambled through the crowds of European cities in search of
bustle, gossip, and beauty.

One who observes and comments in a witty, sophisticated, detached and slightly mocking manner. To be a flaneur was quite the thing in Paris in the late 19th century. It comes from the French verb which means to stroll, saunter etc.

And from one of my keenest Party members... "Un flaneur - "someone who idles about" - fits you perfectly!! I don't mean it."

Just come back from a morning's canvassing the other side of Holt. Got drenched. Two new poster sites though, so every cloud has a silver lining.

No comments: