Saturday, November 24, 2007

What is it With Iranian Leaders and Satirical Songs?

Did you know there are no homosexuals in Iran? None. It must be so because Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad tells us so.
In Iran, we don’t have homosexuals like in your country. We don’t have that in our country. In Iran, we do not have this phenomenon. I don’t know who has told you that we have it.
The American TV programme Saturday Night Live seems to beg to differ. This song, I RAN SO FAR AWAY says it all...



As I was watching it, I thought, hang on a minute, that reminds me of something. And then I remembered the NOT THE NINE O'CLOCK NEWS sketch featuring Pamela Stephenson singing Ayatollah Don't Khomeini Closer...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lovely Pamela Stephenson. Post a link to Debbie Harry singing in a miniskirt now and my trip to my fanatasy youth will be cmplete.

Anonymous said...

As I understand it, Ahmadinejad didn't actually say this.
During a speech at an American university, he said words to the effect that homosexuality is such a small problem in Iran that they don't have to bother with it.
However, his translator incorrectly translated what he said and DID say the exact words you quote.
As a result, we think Ahmadinejad is a fool.
It was the same with his "wipe Israel off the map" words - an inaccurate translation.

Anonymous said...

Anonymong 6:33 - well that's alright then, isn't it?

Iran is a country which hangs men from cranes used as impromptu gallows for being gay. Not so funny or so wonderful.

Just when are we going to get rid of Ahimdinejad?

Anonymous said...

Having read margaret on the guillotine's comments, I'm beginning to understand why homosexuality is such a small problem in Iran!

I'm not sure that getting rid of Ahmadinejad would solve the "man hanging from a crane" problem, though.

It would be good if we made a big fuss about the human-rights abuses in that country, but we don't. Instead, we make a big fuss about words that Ahmadinejad didn't actually say.