Saturday, November 10, 2007

From Malaga to News 24

My 24 hours in Spain are nearly up. Yesterday I did a 20 minute interview on the English language radio station REM and then spoke to fifty or so members of Conservatives Abroad at Fuengirola in the evening. They are certainly a lively bunch. There are several branches in Spain and they clearly do a lot of good work. At last night's dinner they had invited a senior member of the local Spanish Conservatives to join them. At the end of the dinner I took questions. The last one was about Nigel Hastilow and Enoch Powell. I wasn't sure that the questioner liked the honesty of my answer. He got up out of his chair and I seriously thought he was going to walk out of the room. Instead, he came over and shook my hand!

Right, best get up and get to the airport. I'm on News 24 tonight at 11.45pm if you want to examine the suntan I haven't got.

UPDATE: Actually I'm not on News 24 tonight. Got the wrong week. It's next Saturday.

5 comments:

Onward Hornets, Onwards! said...

I am sorry that this is “off topic”, but I am thinking about the flooding disaster that wasn’t. It strikes me that the potential flooding of the east coast has been hyped up because Brown gets his best press handling a crisis.

James Higham said...

I'll pass on the suntan and keep an eye on the blog.

Bob Piper said...

Bloody hell... I've gone and missed it for nothing now!

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to say how much we all enjoyed your speech. In a community of mostly ex-pats it is easy to see how you thought you could get away with the quip about being the 'youngest person in the room'.

As you noticed at the time, I didn't take too kindly to that one!

Thanks, though, for you thoughtful response to my question about the EU.

Jeremy Jacobs said...

Did you get to meet Roy at REM?