The News of the World and The Observer may make uncomfortable reading for the Home Secretary, Tony McNulty and Joan Ryan tomorrow. The Observer carries a front page story which shows that one of the people on the 27,000 missing files has committed murder. The News of the World says that there was a meeting between ACPO and Home Office civil servants on the files issue and the minutes of the meeting show that it was agreed the Home Secretary would be told of the problems. This is in direct contradiction to both John Reid's and Tony McNulty's public pronouncements.
Commenting on The Observer story, David Davis said tonight...
"This tragedy demonstrates all too clearly the dire consequences of the Government’s failure to carry out its duty. If this man had been under effective close supervision his victim may well have been alive today. The killer would almost certainly have received a longer sentence. It shows why Ministers should have taken this problem so much more seriously when ACPO revealed this fiasco. Had John Reid taken a real grip of the Home Office and had his ‘fundamental review’ done its job, this problem would have been dealt with as a high priority last May, not last week when it was accidentally revealed. This is yet more evidence that John Reid’s tenure has done nothing to fix the serial problems at the Home Office that continue to threaten the safety of the public."
UPDATE: Well the Sunday papers didn't spell as much trouble as some of us were hoping. Nowhere is there a leak of the ACPO letters. Very disappointing!