Friday, April 21, 2006

Jack Dromey Goes Back on the Attack

Appearing on BBC Radio 4's Any Questions this evening, Labour Party Treasurer Jack Dromey again hit out at Labour's secret loans. Asked why those around the Prime Minister asked for the money to be given as loans, rather than donations, Dromey said "I can't answer that, because the system was set up in secretwithout my knowing about it or the elected NEC knowing about it. There is an investigation now under way. Everyone needs tocooperate with that investigation. All I would say is that, as somebody who passionately believes in transparency, it was wrong to compel the exposure of donations but then to exploit a loophole to obtain secret loans.'' Asked if he believed the loophole was "consciously'' exploited, he replied: "Yes.'' Mr Dromey stressed no "firm proof'' had yet emerged that peerages were traded for cash. But he added: "There is the perception in the public mind ofwrongdoing, there is the perception in the public mind of a culture built on cash for favours and that is bad news. As somebody who believes in high standards in public life, I think what we need to do is to act once and for all to clean up the political system. I spoke out very clearly. I thought what happened was absolutely wrong. What I am determined now to do is to ensure that we put our own house in order in the Labour Party, and with the general public, we do that which we badly need to do - restore damaged public trust and confidence in the political process.''

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What I am determined now to do is to ensure that we put our own house in order in the Labour Party, and with the general public, we do that which we badly need to do - restore damaged public trust and confidence in the political process.''

I think Jack Dromey is pissing in the wind when he says that because (a), I suspect that the public has never had any trust or confidence in the political process and (b) he is still using politician-speak.

Had he openly said what he ought to mean, that he will do everything in his power to ensure that Blair (and others) never hold public office again and face trial for their misdeeds, then he might have a fighting chance of the public believing what he says and regaining some support for the Labour Party.

Rigger Mortice said...

I disagree,I think he's one of the few people who's come out of this with any credibility.He's played with a straight bat from the start and I think it should be applauded not slagged off.