Sunday, December 04, 2005

Well done to the BBC!


I have just finished watching the brilliant BBC series Auschwitz: The Nazis & the Final Solution. Just the sort of series the BBC should be making. I have been to a couple of concentration camps - Dachau and Buchenwald - and it is certainly a bruisingly emotional experience. Buchenwald in particular was very moving. Although all the huts have been kncoked down, the foundations still remain. And you cannot hear a single bird singing anywhere. I remember walking round with tears streaming down my face, especially when I got to the hut where British POWs had been 'housed'. It is hard to believe that it is only 60 odd years ago that human beings in these hellholes were murdering millions of people whose only crime was to be Jewish, or a gypsy, or homosexual.

No comments: