Thursday, December 08, 2005

The People Have Spoken


I picked this up from the Blog of Sandwell Labour Councillor Bob Piper

Yesterday I listened to one of those dreadful Five Live radio ‘phone-in programmes asking people to ring in and say what they thought about David Cameron as the new Tory leader. The whole level of discussion reminded me of the scene from the West Wing, when President Jed Bartlet describes a similar experience:

“I was watching a television program before, with a kind of roving moderator who spoke to a seated panel of young women who were having some sort of problem with their boyfriends - apparently, because the boyfriends had all slept with the girlfriends' mothers. And they brought the boyfriends out, and they fought, right there on television. Toby, tell me: these people don't vote, do they?”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iain,how come you're able to quote a passage from The West Wing verbatim?

Bob Piper said...

He didn't... I did. Perhaps I'm a nerd, but I like the West Wing anyway. Thanks for the reference Iain. (By the way... the name is Piper)

Iain Dale said...

Bob is correct - I was quoting his blog - about to correct the spelling of your name - apologies!