Iain Dale is a busy man. He is the publisher of Total Politics magazine, a contributing editor to GQ, managing director of Biteback Publishing, editor of Iain Dale’s Diary and author or editor of more than 20 books. And he needs an Executive Assistant!
This role would be ideal for a recent graduate who is looking to make a career in politics or the media and has great organisational skills. You will serve as Iain’s eyes and ears, arranging meetings, providing Iain with relevant information in a wide range of areas, making travel and accommodation arrangements, acting as a gatekeeper, researching issues ahead of media appearances, drafting articles, ensuring Iain is well briefed ahead of all meetings and, from time to time, mind-reading!
This role will be a position of trust, and the successful candidate would act as Iain’s ambassador in his absence, representing Iain with confidence, courtesy and accuracy.
• Managing Iain’s office, ensuring that he is able to work efficiently and effectively
• Maintaining (although not controlling) Iain’s diary. You will liaise with Iain to ensure that his diary and, more importantly, his time, is well managed
• Arranging meetings and liaising with attendees
• Keeping on top of Iain’s task list, and ensuring that nothing falls behind or is missed. You will be expected to provide reminders to Iain when appropriate
• Managing incoming communication, whether post or telephone, and dealing with all emails redirected to you by Iain
• Dealing with all Iain’s travel and accommodation needs
• Conducting research on topics critical to Iain’s obligations. You will be expected to turn around research quickly and accurately on a wide range of topics
• Writing briefing papers for Iain on an equally wide range of topics
• Briefing Iain on everything from individuals he is about to meet to organisations he is going to visit
• Maintain a thorough understanding of political events, personalities and relationships to ensure you understand the broad context of Iain’s various activities
• Liaise confidently with other senior figures on Iain’s behalf
Skills and Qualifications:
• An undergraduate degree (although that is not a 100% pre-requisite)
• A thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office Suite
• A thorough understanding of the Blogger and Wordpress interfaces
• Fast learner
• Exceptional organisational and managerial skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and phone manner
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Extremely well organised
• Confident and able to accept criticism
• Able to act with discretion when dealing with confidential matters
• Self-motivated and proactive
You must be exceptionally well presented, with a consistently professional demeanour. You must be assertive, and prepared to stand your ground when appropriate. You will have a strong interest in British politics and excellent knowledge of the subject. And you absolutely must have a good sense of humour and friendly personality.
Apply to Iain Dale directly by emailing your CV, a covering letter and a 250-500 word critique of Iain’s political blog. iain AT iaindale DOT com
Closing Date: 1 September
Salary: To be agreed
NB: This is not a Total Politics job. Salary will be paid by me personally.