Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes

Sir Tom Cowie in 2007
The Tory party seems to be run now by Old Etonians and they don't seem to understand how other people live. They seem to be very arrogant like I suppose Old Etonians can be. They certainly don't understand about grammar schools. I will not mince my words: I shan't send them any more money.
Sir Tom Cowie in 2008
I have spoken to David Cameron and he is a hell of a nice guy. I have just sent him a pretty massive donation. The 'Etonian' quote was taken out of context – I did criticise one or two of his points ... He has got a wonderful personality and I think if he gets the chance, which hopefully he does, he will do a great job with the country. I have made a very substantial donation – you have got to put your money where your mouth is.
What a difference a year makes in the world of political donations. Tony Benn likes to put people into two categories - signposts and weathercocks. It's quite clear in which category Sir Tom belongs. I wonder if David Cameron was tempted to tell him where to shove his donation.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir Tom was a lousy Chairman of Sunderland Football Club and a lousy Chairman of Sunderland Conservative Association. Both have flourished since his departure. His dosh will come in handy though.

Anonymous said...

Give over Iain. Cameron won't tell him to stuff his massive donation - he's not that proud and principled.

Anonymous said...

Shut up Iain. Wait till the cheque's been cleared.

Anonymous said...

As political signposts go Tony Benn is a very useful pointer to precisely the direction to avoid.

Curmy said...

This time last year John Pienar was saying there was no hope of the Tories getting back in power for years, and NL were unassailable !

Anonymous said...

My ignorance knows no end. Tom Cowie is yet another famous person of whom I have never heard. I found him on Wikipedia and read more than enough about him.

Victor

Hedley Lamarr said...

I didn't know who he was either, googled him and found slightly triumphant articles on the BBC and Guardian website about him not donating any more cash to the Tories.

No articles on either about him giving cash again, I note...