Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Death of Ian MacNicol

I was very sad to get an email this afternoon from a friend on North Norfolk Radio to tell me of the death of Ian MacNicol. Ian was the chairman of North Norfolk Radio and owned the 4,000 acre Stody Estate, near Holt. He was very kind to me during my time in North Norfolk and made me feel very welcome. For the last three years he had been Chairman of the Royal Agricultural Society. The last time I saw him was when he hosted a meeting for local farmers to meet Tory Agriculture Spokesman James Paice. My father drove up from Essex and was delighted to meet Ian. He was well known throughout the County and I can truly say he will be greatly missed. I know everyone in North Norfolk would agree with that, no matter what their background or what their political colours are.

2 comments:

Ellee Seymour said...

One always remembers people who are very kind to them. He looks quite young, a very tragic loss. I'm glad your North Norfolk friends are keeping in touch, albeit to pass on sad news.

Richard Bailey said...

He was President of the CLA for two years in the late Nineties also. He was a superb friend and advocate for the countryside. He handled the advent of this New Labour Government in 1997 very skilfully.
A sad loss.