Saturday, April 15, 2006

Piers Morgan Stands by His Man

I'm a great believer in sticking by your friends during periods of adversity. But eyebrows will no doubt be raised by Piers Morgan's appointment of James Hipwell (pic, right) as a columnest for the Press Gazette. Hipwell was one of the City Slickers on the Daily Mirror, who was jailed for buying shares in companies (most notably Viglen) before he tipped them in the newspaper. Piers Morgan also bought a significant number of shares in Viglen, yet was cleared by the subsequent DTI Inquiry. Hipwell recently came out of the 'nick' and publicly mused about his lack of a future. As I say, standing by a mate is an admirable quality and, if that was his motivation in offering him a column, Piers Morgan is to be applauded. However...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Only one problem, Iain - Piers hasn't offered me a column and I've had no dealings or contact with him whatsoever since I left the Mirror (in 2000). I did, however, write a piece on gambling/horseracing media for the Press Gazette but I presume that is because I have some experience of it.