Monday, November 20, 2006

Another Day, Another Talk

This morning I gave a talk to 30 journalsim students at West Kent College, which is near where I live in Tonbridge. To be honest I often don't look forward to these sort of things amd do them because I think I ought to rather than because I want to. However, I really enjoyed this morning, mainly because the questioning was intelligent, entertaining and plentiful. There was much scepticism about the future of blogs but quite a bit of interest in internet TV. In fact I'm hoping a couple of students there will appear on my show before too long. Most of the students there hope for a career in the local and regional media. If their enthusiasm is anything to go by, they should have great success.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were they sceptical about re blogging?

Anonymous said...

"This morning I gave a talk to 30 journalsim students at West Kent College, which is near where I live in Tonbridge."

Are you sure you're allowed to call them that? Or are they less up themselves than the last bunch?

Anonymous said...

Politics and journalism are the two occupations that allow real estate agents to appear in a good light. Let's not do anything to encourage more people to take up these dishonourable methods of paying a mortgage.

Anonymous said...

I thought you lived in Tunbridge Wells, Iain? Can't think why you would be slumming it in Tonbridge. Mind you, John Stanley is getting on a bit and has a very comfortable majority.

The Stoat said...

I remember being a young enthusiastic local journalist once. They'll soon change once they get out of the classroom and settle in to the daily (or weekly) drudge of meeting deadlines and hanging around in the rain waiting for police press conferences. Ah, happy days!

I hope all these students get some practical experience as part of their course. Can't get a job without experience, and can't get experience without a job (or working for free).

Best of luck to 'em.

Anonymous said...

I was one of those students, one of the, ahem, more mature ones, and really enjoyed it. Nice to have a bit of intelligent debate, and it opened my eyes to the possibilities of blogging and the internet TV world - something that as an oldie I hadn't really considered. You name the pub and we'll be there. Bring Norman too, and are you buying the drinks?

Anonymous said...

Just what the country needs. Another room full of journalists. Spot any engineers or chemists on your Kentish forays? Now there's a thought - when did we last have a senior politician with a science degree?