Sunday, March 12, 2006

Charles Clarke: Thug or Not?

Labour Watch carries a story about Charles Clarke's apparent rudeness to the father of a 7/7 victim, which you can read about in full HERE. I have to say my experience of Charles Clarke has always been the opposite, although I fully recognise he can be a bit of a thug. I wonder, having my my charitable hat on, whether this is one of those occasions when there has just been a terrible misunderstanding. I watched an episode of Without a Trace recently where they replayed a particular scene over and over again, but from the perspective of each of the participants. Each of them had read something completely differently into what went on. Aren't I being nice today?

5 comments:

Jonathan Sheppard said...

There are always these kinds of stories. Wasnt a certain leadership contender portrayed as being a bit of a b'stard - sometimes with stories about how he ignored someone at some party.

During my election one of my "supporters" AFTER the election thought it worthwhile pointing out he though I'd blanked him and his Mrs at an event 9 months previously. Now the fact that I turned up to the outside event in the freezing cold - with some nasty virus and having lost my voice was clearly lost on this chap.

I take these stories with a pinch of salt. As you point out - there are always two sides (if not more) to every story.

Jonathan Sheppard said...

Having said all that - I suspect Clarke is more in the bruiser camp than not!

Anonymous said...

Well, Iain, you my friend, are involved in the Westminster Village. The gentleman who was insulted by Clarke was simply a old man of the clergy. Perhaps this has something to do with the divergence of treatment.I can imagine Clarke doing this.

Iain Dale said...

Jonathan, you're right. I remember a similar instance.

ian said...

I presume this is the kind of behaviour by citizens that ID cards will help to prevent?