Friday, March 31, 2006

Tony Blair: It's Nearly All Over



I'm nailing my colours to the mast. I think Tony Blair will step down as Prime Minister at the Labour Party Conference, and may well announce it much earlier to allow a leadership contest to take place over the Summer. Prescott's remark at PMQs this week has re-enforced my view. Hague asked him when Blair would go and he replied "that's for me to know and you to guess". Would he have said that if he really had no clue? The papers today are also full of stories that Brown knows the date and is annoyed the PM hasn't made it public yet. I think there is a strong chance his departure could come even earlier than the Summer. The fact that Labour MPs and even MPs on the government payroll, like Ashok Kumar, haven't been disciplined for calling on him to go and the fact that he has also not held his long awaited reshuffle all point to an early departure. Unless, as Esther Rantzen used to say, you know different...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuffin' Nora Iain .Can't believe you are partly basing your prediction on Prescott's PMQs comment.I suspect Prezza himself doesn't even know.

My guess is still summer 2007.

Guido Fawkes said...

Well go on Betfair and bet on it.

You can get 7/1!

ContraTory said...

September looked good before Mr Blair let the cat out of the bag about his true intentions, a few days ago. Will the "Brownites" risk using a jemmy to get him out if he is reluctant to go?

Anonymous said...

I'm 99.9% certainty that John Prescott has no more clue than anyone else about when Tony Blair will step down.

Personally, if the backbenchers don't try and get rid of Blair, I'd now put it past him to hold on until 2008.

Anonymous said...

There is a chnace that the long summer hols will be a time of reflection for out Tony - would not be surprised if he decided to use the party conference in manchester to set the date.

PS - I hope the grammar police don't get sight of the wording on the tombstone.

Anonymous said...

Surely your blog could rise to an above average level of English grammar : "Primeministership"?? Perhaps "Premiership" is what you're looking for.

Dear me!