Saturday, March 08, 2008

Total, Utter Humiliation

If you ever need to be taken down a peg or two can I recommend a round of golf at Royal St George's in Sandwich, Kent. It's a venue for the Open Championship and now I can see why. I have only ever played a links course once before and after today it will take a lot of courage to do so again. I was utterly, totally and completely humiliated. But I greatly enjoyed it nonetheless! For the golfers among you, we played foursomes and my ever patient partner and I lost 5&4. At one stage I thought it was going to be 7&6, and it was all down to my appalling play. I couldn't drive to save my life - and that's normally what I am best at. My fairway shots were, shall we say, inconsistent. I won a couple of holes by holing putts, but man cannot win by putting alone.

I put it down to tiredness! I had to get up at 5am to drive to Sandwich, which was a good two hours from Tunbridge Wells. That's my excuse, and I am sticking to it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Iain many of us have been there-it is a very long and difficult course. They also used to have a very interesting attitude to "ladies" who were not recognised at all-they were allowed to play, but you were supposed to play through them as if they didn't exist.I presume times have changed..?

strapworld said...

Still. Both Manchester United and Chelsea lost!
So, iain it was not a good day for you Premiership Sportsmen!

Bradford for t'cup

Anonymous said...

Golf is a grumpy old man's game. Res Ipsa Loquitor. Youa Culpa.

Anonymous said...

Golf =A good walk spoiled....

Anonymous said...

strapworld

England also lost at Murrayfield today (at rugger of course). Was Gordon Brown there--the curse of the English?

AloneMan said...

You want to try St Andrews, mate. I went into the Road Bunker and it took me about ten minutes to get out !

Anonymous said...

A guy won £490,000 on "Duel" quiz on ITV tonight for being able to answer a golf question correctly. Don't give it up!

Unsworth said...

At 5.00am I can do that run quicker than that, Iain. Did you stop off for breakfast on the way? Maybe you should have spent less time on your toilette.

The links course is difficult, though. Windy?

Scipio said...

er....translation please Iain!

Curbishly said...

but man cannot win by putting alone.

Old golf saying.

"You drive for show, you putt for dough".