Friday, August 13, 2004

A Busy Weekend

Just got back from the Cley Branch seafood supper at which my old friend Sir Alan Haselhurst was the guest speaker. We had a turnout of more than 100 which was excellent. I've known Alan since I was a 15 year old school kid in Saffron Walden. Interestingly there were quite a few ex residents of Saffron Walden there tonight.

Earlier in the day I was at Rebecca House Dementia Care Unit in North Walsham to hear the latest from the Mental Health Trust on their plans for the home. It was quite an emotional meeting with several of the patients' relatives expressing their deep concerns about the future. They are right to be worried and I have got to think very carefully about the next move. It's quite clear to me that government policy is to blame for this situation and that the Mental Health Trust's policies are being drive directly from Whitehall.

This afternoon I visited a homeless project in Cromer where I met a fascinating group of people who run a hostel for homeless people.

Tomorrow I start the first of my village tours. I am going to Aylmerton, Gresham, West Beckham and Bodham, before going over to Hempton and Sculthorpe in the afternoon. Then it's off to a do in Southrepps in the evening.

No comments: