Wednesday, September 01, 2004

You Know You're a Conservative When...

I spent yesterday night watching some of the Republican Convention in New York. I can't say it inspired me very much. I am fascinated by American politics but it seems to me that any speaker only had to say "I love America" and they were guaranteed a standing ovation. Not a sign of any real policy anywhere. Now I never thought I'd say this, but it was only when Arnold Schwarzenegger spoke that the event came to life. It was still quite schmalzy, but there was one passage which I thought was excellent. Just delete the word Republican and insert Conservative...

My fellow immigrants, my fellow Americans how do you know if you are a Republican? I'll tell you how. If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government...then you are a Republican! If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group... then you are a Republican! If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does... then you are a Republican! If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children ... then you are a Republican! If you believe this country, not the United Nations, is the best hope of democracy in the world then you are a Republican! And, ladies and gentlemen ...if you believe we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism ... then you are a Republican!

If you want to read Arnie's entire speech CLICK HERE

2 comments:

David said...

Wouldn't it be bliss to be able to get away with calling Gordon Brown "an economic girlie-man!"

delete-paulds said...

Gordon Brown is an Economic Girlie man!

Hmm not bliss, maybe I need the accent